Question: What can I expect from the 2015 Annual Conference?
- NEW! The poster presentations have been moved to Friday morning from 10 am until 12 pm.
- NEW! Friday night will be a FREE night to get out and take a trip into Washington DC if you’d like.
- The Resident Review Workshop will take place on Thursday, October 15th beginning at 8:00 am. and is FREE to all current VCS member RESIDENTS only.
- OPWG is back this year. Their business lunch will take place on Saturday, October 17th.
- The conference officially begins at 1:00 pm on Thursday afternoon.
- The conference concludes with the Annual Awards Banquet on Saturday evening at the Hotel at 7 pm.
- There are NO sessions scheduled for Sunday
Question: What meals are provided at the conference?
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided for TECHNICIANS on both Friday and Saturday thanks to some awesome sponsors.
- Breakfast will be provided for all specialists on both Friday and Saturday morning. A presentation will accompany both meals.
- Mid-morning and afternoon food & beverage breaks each day are provided.
- Light hors-d’oeuvres at the Welcome Reception will be provided.
- One ticket to the Awards Banquet on Saturday evening is also included in your registration fee. You must register for this.
- Those who plan to attend the VCOG or OPWG business meeting may purchase a lunch when registering. You must register and pay for this.
Question: What can I expect at this year’s Awards Banquet? This year, guests who attend the Awards Banquet will enjoy a fabulous comedy show thanks to the internationally known Capitol Steps. No buses this year as the banquet will take place in the hotel.
Question: What time does the conference end? The abstract presentations will end at 4:30 pm on Saturday, October 17th and the Membership Meeting will follow. The Awards Banquet takes place that evening at 7:00 pm. There are no sessions scheduled for Sunday. You can find a complete conference schedule here.
Question: I have been selected to present a poster at the conference. When can I hang my poster? You will be able to hang your poster in the upstairs ballroom anytime after 5 pm on Thursday. Posters must be removed by 3 pm on Saturday. Your name will be on the board in which you are to hang your poster. You must be present at the Poster presentation session on Friday morning from 10 am until noon to discuss your poster. Your poster must be 3 feet wide by 4 feet tall (vertical) so that two posters can fit on one board.
Question: I have been selected to present my abstract orally. How do I submit my presentation? All presenters will receive an email that includes an individualized link in which to submit your oral presentation. All presentations must be uploaded by October 13th at 11:59 pm.
Question: I want to attend the VCOG and/or OPWG business meeting during the lunch hour but do not wish to purchase a lunch. Can I do that? Yes, you may attend and not purchase a lunch.
Question: How many CE hours will I receive by attending this conference and when will I receive the certificate? Please see the Continuing Education page for more information.
Question: I want to register as a VCS member but haven’t paid my 2015 dues yet. What should I do? If you are a VCS member who has not renewed your dues for 2015, we recommend that you do so prior to registering for the conference so that you can take advantage of the VCS member rates. To do so, log in HERE using your email address and password, select the online store, select your membership category and proceed to payment. If you have difficulty call Sandi Strother at 573-823-8497. Please note: If you have been a VCS member in the past but your membership has expired, and you register for the conference using the VCS member rate, please be sure to renew your membership prior to arriving at the conference to avoid long lines at the registration desk. You will still be asked to pay your 2016 dues by January 1st. Those people who have never been a member of VCS and join after September 1st will be a member for the remainder of 2015 and all of 2016 and will be able to register for the 2015 conference using the member registration rate.
Question: I am a Resident who was selected to present an oral or poster abstract. What registration fee do I use? You will use the VCS Member Resident Presenter fee of $125 as long as you are a current VCS member. Non-member Residents must use the non-member Resident rate. Only CURRENT Residents who will be presenting in the Resident category on Thursday afternoon, and thus in the Resident competition, are eligible to use this special rate. Residents should wait until AFTER they receive notification of their assignment before registering for the conference.
Question: I have recently completed my residency (within the past year) and have been accepted to present my abstract in the Resident category. What conference registration rate do I use? Because you are no longer a Resident, you are required to pay the Professional registration rate for the conference. You are still eligible to present in the Resident category and accept one of the Resident Awards if your abstract is selected as a winner.
Question: I am a student whose abstract has been accepted in the oral or poster category. Which registration rate do I use? Students selected to present a poster or oral abstract must register for the conference paying the STUDENT rate only. These abstracts will NOT be presented during the Resident presentation time periods.
Question: I plan to register on site. What will that cost? There will be a late fee of $50 charged in addition to the regular registration fee when registering onsite. See the registration page for more information on rates.
Question: I am paying for Saturday only. Does the single day fee include the banquet? No. You must pay $70 separately for the banquet if you wish to attend.
AIRPORT, DRIVING AND SHUTTLE QUESTIONS
Question: Is there shuttle transportation to and from the airport to the Sheraton Tyson’s Hotel? There are several options for getting to the hotel from the airport. We recommend that you fly into either Dulles International Airport or Ronald Reagan International Airport.
- FROM DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, take a shared shuttle ride or a taxi to the hotel as there are no shuttles provided by the hotel. This airport is approximately 12 miles from the hotel.
- FROM RONALD REAGAN (Washington National) AIRPORT, you can take a shared shuttle or a much cheaper option is to take the Metro. Take the BLUE line to the ROSALYN station and transfer to the SILVER line exiting at SPRING HILL. Once you exit, there will be taxi’s or you can take a short two block walk directly to the hotel which will be in view from the train station. The rate will be based on the time of day that you are travelling and will take approximately 30-40 minutes. For more information on the metro click HERE.
Question: How do I get to the hotel if I am driving? You may get information for travelling to the Sheraton Tyson’s Hotel on the hotel website. Parking is free to conference attendees.
Question: When can I make my reservation at the Sheraton Tyson’s Hotel? The group block will open July 1st. A link will can be found on the accommodations page. While we increased the size of the block this year, we anticipate that rooms will sell out quickly.
Question: Is there a discounted rate available for Students/Residents/Interns at the Sheraton Tyson’s Hotel? Yes, there is a discounted rate of $89/night plus tax on a group of thirty rooms for those students, interns, residents who are on a limited budget, however, you must call the hotel to reserve a room in that category AND you must share a room with someone of your choice. See the accommodations page for more information.
Question: What is the website address to the conference headquarters hotel? You will find the website here.
Question: When is the last day that I can make a hotel reservation? The block closes thirty days prior to the conference but please know that it is highly likely to sell out prior to that dates. After that time, there may be rooms available but you may not be able to get the conference rate. Links to nearby hotels will be located on the accommodations page once the block sells out.
Question: I am travelling alone. Can VCS help me find a roommate? VCS does not pair roommates, however, you may email us at VetCancerConference@yahoo.com and let us know that you are looking for a roommate. If others contact us looking for the same, we will let you know.
Question: Is there babysitting service available? No, VCS does not provide any babysitting services and the hotel does not recommend any babysitting services for its guests.
Question: Is there a spa at the hotel? No
Questions: Are there restaurants nearby? Yes, there are a number of restaurants within very easy walking distance to the hotel. The very popular Tyson’s Corner Center can be accessed via the Metro. It is just two stops down on the train and is filled with shopping and restaurant options.